It is usually the case that new and under-experienced nonprofit organizations experience a huge problem when they attempt to raise funding. What is this problem? The problem is that they are not receiving any money, or at at least not receiving it at rates that are comparable to the rates at which they are seeking it.
Things you should know:
1) People give money to you because you ask them to: As I have said before, money does not fall from the sky. If it did, we would all be outside right now! “You have not because you ask not!”
2) People give money because they have money to give away: OKAY, Broke people usually do not have money to spare. You may want to change your network if everyone in your network is broke. Their should NOT be more people in your network asking you for free or reduced services than those who are contributing financially to your cause!! I’m just saying… Align yourself and your organization with people who have money to give away.
3) People give money because they are in the habit of giving money: Find a frequent giver… someone who loves to give without reservation… This person will be a good choice of donor solicitation.
4) People give money because they support organizations like yours: For example, if your organization gives socks to children, find donors who have been known to give socks to children or to other organizations that provide children with clothing… etc.
5) People give money because their gifts will make a difference: Your job is to tell them what this “difference” will be. We have all seen the commercials stating that “with just $5, you can feed a child for a day”… guess what? People give whole-heartedly to organizations like this. Why? Because whether they give a little or a lot they have made a “difference” in the life of a child.
6) People give money because it will accomplish something RIGHT NOW: Again, give socks to a child today (example) is more effective than saying your donation will help prevent something that is not scheduled to happen until 3 years down the road.
…. and there are several other reasons why people give….